The Petroc

MLB Hot Stove

Mike Daly '18, Staff Writer

So now that all of the award ceremonies have concluded, it is time to figure out which transactions will take place in the near future. With the winter meetings set to take place this month, the hot stove will start to heat up with juicy trades and signings.

The National League MVP, Giancarlo Stanton ended up in a deal that sent him to the Yankees for Starlin Castro and two minor leaguers. The new owner of the Marlins, Derek Jeter was hoping to get rid of Stanton in order to free up cap space and to dump a hefty salary. The Yankees will be paying $265 million of the $295 million remaining on his contract. Stanton is able to opt out after the 2020 season if he so chooses. Giancarlo Stanton did not choose to waive his no-trade clause for the Cardinals or Giants, but waived it for the Bronx bombers. The arrival of Stanton in New York, could be shaping up for a “Bash Brothers 2.0” with Aaron Judge’s home run hitting power as he showcased in his rookie season. This trade will make the Yankees a favorite to win the World Series in 2018 and a potential powerhouse for years to come.

In the free agency market, the Los Angeles Angels made a monster signing by acquiring the rights to Japanese sensation, Shohei Ohtani. Ohtani whittled his list down to seven West Coast teams, but he ultimately chose the Angels over crosstown rival Dodgers, and division rival Mariners. Ohtani is not just an ace pitcher, but also a supreme home run threat, that will compliment Mike Trout and Justin Upton in the lineup.

Some other key free agents that have yet to sign anywhere are Yu Darvish, J.D. Martinez, Todd Frazier, Jake Arrieta and Mike Moustakas. The winter meetings this upcoming week will result in season-changing signings that teams are desperate to make. Since we are in the New York area, the Mets are a must when talking about free agency. The Mets have not made any signings so far but hope to bring Jay Bruce back to the big apple. Bruce was traded to the Indians in August of last year and helped the club reach the postseason. His fire power was truly missed in a nearly barren Mets lineup. Although it is not likely that he ends up returning to New York, it is still a possibility. In a matter of days, these key free agents will be deciding where to spend the 2018 season and beyond.

• MLB Hot Stove

Showcase

NBA Tanking: Performance for Potential

• MLB Hot Stove

Showcase

The Current State of the Utah Jazz

• MLB Hot Stove

Entertainment

EDM Legend Passes Away

• MLB Hot Stove

Entertainment

The Last of Tolkien’s Great Tales To Be Published in 2018

• MLB Hot Stove

Showcase

2018 NFL Mock Draft – Round 1

• MLB Hot Stove

Entertainment

Pulitzer Nominee Rajiv Joseph Shares Writing Tips

• MLB Hot Stove

Entertainment

Album Review: Kendrick Excels on the “Black Panther” Album

• MLB Hot Stove

Showcase

Pre-Playoff NCAA March Madness Bracket Prediction

• MLB Hot Stove

Life at Prep

Prep Dramatics’ “Lord of the Flies”

• MLB Hot Stove

Showcase

The NASL: Swan Song?

The Student Newspaper of Saint Peter's Prep
MLB Hot Stove