The Student Newspaper of Saint Peter's Prep

The Petroc

Running to History

John Gaccione '18, Staff Writer

Each year, more than 50,000 runners gather in New York City to take part in the annual marathon, considered to be one of the most elite competitions in the world. The race is extremely enduring, taking hours upon hours of preparation for those who partake in it. Even so, and despite tremendous efforts, not every participant is able to finish. With this in mind, most would, most likely, not even imagine winning the race, let alone being among the top few to finish first. With these odds stacked against her, Shalane Flanagan won this year’s race. In so doing, the Olympic medalist became the first American woman in 40 years to accomplish this feat, with a time of 2:26:53.

It was certainly not an easy win for Flanagan, as she had a motivated competitor in Mary Keitany. The 35-year-old Kenyan won the race three times in a row and sought a fourth in this year’s race. In doing so, Keitany would have also made history becoming only the second woman to accomplish such a feat. With even more of an incentive to win, Shalane made sure that this would not occur. In 2010, she placed second in the marathon; this time, the tears shed following her win evinced just how much breaking the tape meant to her. Her mother commented prior to the race that running allows her daughter to “feel a sense of power in a society that doesn’t always offer that.” If the outcome of the race should highlight anything to its viewers and followers, let it be the power, determination and skill of motivated women.

• Running to History

News

Net Neutrality

• Running to History

Entertainment

Justice League Review

• Running to History

Showcase

UFC’s Historic Night

• Running to History

Showcase

Columbus Crew

• Running to History

Showcase

U.S. Misses World Cup Bid

• Running to History

Life at Prep

Prep Attends Ignatian Family Teach-In

• Running to History

News

Far-Right Party’s Inclusion in Parliament Signals Subtle Shift in German Government

• Running to History

News

Choice in Education: Power to the Parents

• Running to History

News

Drill Baby Drill, Right?

• Running to History

News

The Outbreak of Ebola

Running to History