The Student Newspaper of Saint Peter's Prep

The Petroc

The Petroc

The Petroc

A Look at the Marauder Basketball Team

This upcoming 2013 – 2014 basketball season for the St. Peter’s Prep Marauders looks very promising. The team is coming off a successful season in which they suffered a heartbreaking loss in the County Final against Hudson Catholic and won an intense final against rival Seton Hall Prep in the Parochial A-North Championship. After losing a few key seniors last year, this season’s seniors are looking to leave their mark as leaders in the program. This includes recent High Point University commit Austin White, Pace University commit Vic Jusino, along with Austin Roche, Sean Ryan, and Jordan Whitehead. The team will also get a great deal of help from returning junior Jordan Harris, as well as a strong sophomore class, which features transfer student Amarveer Singh.

Affectionately known as “Veer”, Singh recently moved to New Jersey from Georgia. The 6’7” wing has yet to play an official game for the Marauders, yet he is already causing quite the hype. He has led the Marauders to successful runs in various summer tournaments and leagues. Singh has also been gaining attention on the collegiate level having acquired offers from Division-1 basketball programs such as Villanova, Penn State, Cincinnati, and Seton Hall among others. In an interview with SNY about the standout sophomore, head coach Todd Decker said, “As a sophomore, he plays with such a high energy level and passion for the game. He shoots the ball so quickly and his release is very high. I think if he continues to build strength in the weight room and gets more explosive and understands the ins and outs of the game, he’s going to be a very special player.”

Good luck to Veer and the entire basketball team on a successful 2013-2014 campaign.