The Student Newspaper of Saint Peter's Prep

The Petroc

The Petroc

The Petroc

Teacher Feature: Mr. Campbell

Teacher Feature: Mr. Campbell

Amidst the confusion at Prep caused by Hurricane Sandy, there is a new faculty member that seems completely collected and prepared to move on with his teachings in the classroom. This man, known by many as the “J. Crew” model at Prep due to his stylish outfits and professional attire, is Mr. Gerald Campbell. Mr. Campbell is a native of Buffalo, New York, and attended Canisius College in order to pursue his passion of secondary education and mathematics. While at Canisius, Mr. Campbell studied mathematics and enthusiastically student-taught during his last two years at the college. Before arriving at Grand and Warren to teach mathematics, Mr. Campbell taught at St. Ignatius School in the Bronx for one year and then proceeded to teach at the Nativity Mission Center in the Lower East Side for three years. Mr. Campbell’s Jesuit roots are well documented and widely displayed throughout his work. Although he is a busy man, I was recently allowed the opportunity to sit down and catch up with this calm and collective algebra teacher.

As a child, all Mr. Campbell wished to do in life was to teach. He has always had an aptitude for mathematics, especially algebra and geometry, and those special talents have enabled him to teach in the halls of St. Peter’s Prep. When asked about the biggest challenge he faced coming into Prep, he thought for a brief moment and then responded, “I would have to say the work load.”  In his previous assignments as a teacher, Mr. Campbell was accustomed to teaching rather small classes of sixteen students. Although coming into a school with nearly one thousand students may have been overwhelming to this young teacher, he faced this daunting challenge by being extremely organized in the classroom while staying on top of his planning. The transition from such a small environment to one that boasts a much larger campus has not been an easy one, but Mr. Campbell has been able to manage his classes very well and is rapidly expanding his wide variety of skills as a teacher.

Mr. Campbell happily stated that he has been warmly welcomed with open arms. He then added, “Orientation over the summer was very helpful. I got to meet the faculty and I felt welcomed right away. I immediately felt welcomed by both students and faculty members alike.” Even though he is in his first year, Mr. Campbell already feels as though he has been a member of the community due to the friendliness of both students and of staff members. James Clark, a member of the junior class and an Algebra II student of Mr. Campbell added, “Mr. Campbell is a consistent presence at Prep, whether it is during academic support or after school. Mr. Campbell is an extremely understandable teacher and he always brings positive energy to the classroom.” As a first year teacher, Mr. Campbell has already become a great influence for his students and truly embodies the Prep ideals when it comes to being a Man for Others.

Mr. Campbell takes pleasure in various hobbies outside of school. He enjoys walks in the park, especially Highland Park in New York City and is a devoted movie fanatic. During his free time, Mr. Campbell frequently visits the movie theater. When asked to name his favorite movie, he hesitated and did not know how to reply. I then laughed and realized such a task would be difficult, so I asked him to name his top three favorite movies. After exhaling a sigh of relief, he confidently said, “Titanic, Aladdin, and Adventures in Babysitting.”

Since Mr. Campbell has completely immersed himself in Jesuit education, I asked him what makes teaching at a Jesuit preparatory school so unique. Pondering over his answer, Mr. Campbell put his hand under his chin and replied, “It opens up more opportunity for academic support. The bond between the students and teacher is very unique. It is a friendly atmosphere.” Mr. Campbell is right. There exists no bond stronger than that of the students and teachers at St. Peter’s Prep, and that is what makes us truly unique.

From the Petroc crew, we would all like to extend a warm welcome to Mr. Campbell and wish him continued success here in downtown Jersey City.