The Student Newspaper of Saint Peter's Prep

The Petroc

The Petroc

The Petroc

Chris Herren: A Look at our Choices

On Thursday, October 11, the students of St. Peter’s Prep had the opportunity to listen to the story of Chris Herren. Since that time, the school community has agreed that it was an incredibly positive experience. Many students agree that the story, as well as the manner in which the former NBA star was able to tell it, were both very powerful. Hearing the story of Mr. Herren allows us to realize just how relevant the problem of addiction is to high school and soon to be college students. I asked Raza Mehdi, a senior at Saint Peter’s Prep, if he felt that Mr. Herren was able to make his speech relevant to him, and if his views concerning drugs had changed. He responded, “Yes. In the sense that, he talked a lot about how when he was a kid he didn’t do anything drug related, but the core point of his speech was not to make that one stupid decision, whether it be drugs or something else. I like to think that it will not be a part of my life because I generally consider decisions before I make them.” While the focus of Mr. Herren’s talk was on drugs, students were able to relate it to other aspects of their lives. He often spoke of the kids who “just drink and smoke.” Unfortunately, many high school students can relate to this feeling. He was able to help many students realize that “just drinking and smoking” can turn into something much worse. Hearing his story and the one mistake he made that sent his life spiraling in a negative direction, really brought to life the fact that one foolish decision can change a life. Mr. Herren made a great effort to let us know we all have choices in life, and being prepared to make the right ones can make all the difference.