The Student Newspaper of Saint Peter's Prep

The Petroc

The Petroc

The Petroc

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up

Believe it or not, Christmas time is here once again. All the excitement that this holiday brings is in full swing. Although there can be stress about the holidays, this time is joyful for most. For starters, two weeks off will have no one complaining. One wish for all thing is no schoolwork to do. The work that everyone goes through leading up to break can be very stressful and having all this time off gives a stress free time. Another part is not getting any emails. We get bombarded with emails every day sometimes climbing into double-digit notifications, but over break they send little to zero. In case you haven’t looked at the weather forecast, there will be no shoveling for us over this break (the forecast only focuses on ten days though). Lastly, Christmas time is a much more positive time of the year. People tend to be happier because they are excited to come together with family and friends and celebrate tradition. Everything that goes on during Christmas time such as the music, the decorations, and the giving makes Christmas what it is.

Thumbs Down

Let’s hope the teachers won’t give us any homework over this break. That will make that last Sunday night before the return to classes very hectic and underestimated. If that doesn’t happen, we can all take a sigh of relief. This is also the time of year when us kids have to look good for our parents and relatives so we must break our piggy banks open. No kid our age likes to spend hard earned money. But the holiday season could care less about what we want. No matter what religion you celebrate it seems you can expect to shell out some serious cash to keep up with the needs of your loved ones. Even I can admit that it’s pretty hard to swallow spending 35 dollars on a scented candle, no matter how much you love your aunt. The only thing that the holiday season reminds me is how broke I am. I mean I could probably be more conscious of this season and save more money during the year, but that wouldn’t give me any time to complain. So where’s the fun in that? I blame movies and advertisements for shifting society towards a culture of materialistic people. Why can’t we go back to the time when someone’s presence at a holiday party was enough to satisfy another person? But now everyone needs some new product to satisfy them. Yes I’m looking at you Grandma.