The Student Newspaper of Saint Peter's Prep

The Petroc

The Petroc

The Petroc

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up:

Chromebooks

A new wave has entered Saint Peter’s Prep: a wave of Chromebooks. Some people have been criticizing these Chromebooks, but I think that they are nuts. The benefits to these new computers are endless. Now that I can’t play games on this computer and most sites are blocked again, I am being forced to do dreaded schoolwork in my free time in school, but this is a good thing in the end. Students are more productive, more organized with programs such as google docs, and communication is far easier with everyone using the same device. Now teachers do not have to worry about the divide in MAC and PC programs; they can use Google programs which are very efficient and reliable because they are all on the cloud. Teachers can now rely more on student replies with gmail and communication as a whole can be relied on for snow days and weekends. All in all the addition of Chromebooks to Saint Peter’s Prep have made the school more organized and more focused, creating an environment of efficiency.

Thumbs Down:

Chromebooks

There has been a lot of controversy during this first month of school if whether or not the Chromebooks are good. Although some people are starting to like them, there are some downsides. First off, these Chromebooks are giving us more emails than we already get. The amount of emails we receive on a daily basis is too much for most people to even take in, but now throw on some more regarding Chromebook rules, etc, it is just too much. Secondly, remembering to bring them can be a hassle. I know that it seems dumb to complain that it’s a lot to remember to have a Chromebook on you at all points, but its the days when you get home late and you have some work where you don’t need your chromebook. Before you know it, it’s 11:30 and you have to go to bed. You wake up the next day, go to class and your Chromebook does not turn on because you forgot to charge it.  Lastly, there is talk of still being able to do work on Snow Days. If we are doing work on Snow Days, then what’s the point, honestly. Although in our high school days we tend to fall of from our times when we used to play in the snow all day, it is still nice to have a day in the week to relax and catch up on your favorite Netflix show. All in all, the Chromebooks seem to cause some sort of nuisance that most of us aren’t really looking forward to go through.