The Student Newspaper of Saint Peter's Prep

The Petroc

The Petroc

The Petroc

Outlook on the 2014 Winter Olympics

With the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia quickly approaching, there is much uncertainty in the air. The Russian Parliament recently passed a law on “Homosexual Propaganda,” in which anyone promoting gay rights will face fines, imprisonment, and possible deportation. U.S. athletes have considered boycotting the Olympics, believing that everyone has a right to participate. Gay athletes, like free agent NBA player Jason Collins and professional boxer Orlando Cruz, want to be part of the games. They want to serve as models to all other athletes and people of our generation. Many athletes are looking to speak out about this topic, but are finding it very difficult. The International Olympic Committee says it will not get involved with Russian anti-gay laws, and warns athletes not to make any political statements. As it looks, the U.S. will be competing in the 2014 Winter Olympics.

After the passing of the law, President Vladimir Putin says that all are still welcome and is trying to make participants and guests feel comfortable and safe. However, in addition to the recent law, other security risks run high, as a female suicide bomber took action last October in southern Russia. Putin has also directed forces to crack down on “radical” Islamists. This caused religious schools and charities to be closed down, Putin’s campaign has targeted the Salafists: a very strict sect of Sunni Muslims. Despite these threats, Putin promises the Olympics will be safe and secure.

The U.S. is looking to achieve strong results in Sochi this winter. America will look to take a handful of metals in the Alpine Skiing category with the potential Lindsey Vonn returning from knee surgery, despite another recent crash in a practice run. The Hockey team is looking at a realistic shot at taking the gold medal, but face fierce competition from Russia, Finland, and the always-strong Canada. Another area where the US can perform well is speed skating. Apolo Ohno is set for a return, but is not considered much of a threat due to his seasoned age. JR Helski will be the one most likely to bring in medals for the US in the short distance speed skating. For long distance skating, Shani Davis will be looking to take home gold for the third straight times in both the 1,000 and 1,500 events. Shawn White, Kelly Clark and Arielle Gold will be looking to put in strong performances for the US snowboarding team. It will be a tight race for the medal count and the US look to take on Germany, Canada, Norway, Austria and France.

We wish all participants luck and hope for a safe venue for athletes to demonstrate their prowess. Best of luck to the US!