The Student Newspaper of Saint Peter's Prep

The Petroc

The Petroc

The Petroc

Early Look at the English Premier League

In this weekend’s English Premiership action, trends continued as the league was left wide open for underdogs to make giant-killings of the larger, more established clubs. It appears the narrative of the initial weeks of Great Britain’s top footballing league is one of shaken heads and sighs as fans of elite clubs are grounded by their rising counterparts.

Fresh off their famous victory defeating last year’s league champions Manchester United, West Bromwich Albion secured a draw with first place side Arsenal. Arsenal has been in their best beginning of the season form in years, riding high on an eight game winning streak. Their big summer purchase, Mesut Ozil, has paid dividends in the club’s attacking midfield, and perhaps propelled the Gunners to such a brilliant start to the season. The clashing of these two in-form clubs was one in which ninety minutes could not secure a winner. Great goals from both West Brom’s Claudio Yacob and Arsenal’s young midfield star Jack Wilshere ended the contest in a one- one draw.

With a full season under his belt, Manager Brendan Rodgers has taken Liverpool back to their winning ways. Currently sitting 2nd in the table, Liverpool looks to be making a strong charge for a Champions League spot. Also having striker Daniel Sturridge in the best form of his young career, leading the league in goals, and Luis Suarez returning from a ten game suspension; the two are looking to create a very dangerous striking duo.

After a disappointing draw with London Rivals Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea found a reassuring win at Carrow Road against Norwich City. Perhaps the biggest press-point of this contest was the reintroduction of Spanish international Juan Mata into the Chelsea starting lineup after the star of last season was excluded from even the Chelsea bench in their match last week. The game was all but a formality for the Premier League giants, in which underdogs Norwich put forth an inspiring performance. The game remained in a one-one deadlock until manager Jose Mourinho’s substitutes, Eden Hazard and Willian broke the tie with goals in quick succession in the eighty-fifth and eighty-sixth minutes. Chelsea has not yet been able to convince fans of their title ambitions, and many have not stopped asking questions of the side despite the win.

After their respectable 14th place finish last season Southampton is looking to improve this year and so far are off to a flying start. Currently sitting in 4th, a position most fans would never even dream of. They can thank the stellar play of the Southampton defense, having only allowed in two goals, which is so far the best in the league.

Two Premier League heavyweights squared off at the Etihad as Manchester City hosted Everton in last week’s action. Manchester City had some serious questions to answer after a massive loss to the lesser Aston Villa the week before. New Manager Manuel Pellegrini’s side was clearly undergoing some growing pains that would have to be remedied. Everton opened the scoring with a classy finish from on-loan striker Romelu Lukaku in the sixteenth minute. City showed heart to respond with a goal from summer signing Alvaro Negredo in the very next minute. From there the powerhouse club stole two more to end Everton’s hope of establishing themselves as major title contenders for this year with a win.

After selling their best player, Gareth Bale, to Real Madrid for a record $136m, Tottenham decided wisely to invest into the team and buy a great group of players. This looks to have paid off as the Spurs are playing some of the best football this year and have many analysts saying they have a chance to win the league. Although Tottenham has only two losses on the year; they were from their neighbors and biggest rivals, Arsenal and West Ham, which make them sting a bit more. Don’t worry Spurs fans, they still look poised to make a run at the top four.

City’s neighbors, Manchester United, last years season champions and widely known as the Kings of the Premier league, have been off to a nightmare start. After their iconic manager Sir Alex Ferguson retired from the role of skipper, new man David Moyes has been unable to bring United back to the team they use to be. Their fixture against Sunderland, a layup of a game for the team they were last year, began with a shocking start. Sunderland scored early, bringing to light a weak United defense. It was only when an eighteen year-old Belgian in his premier league debut, Adnan Januzaj, scored two goals that United was bailed out of an impending loss. Manchester United is by no means out of the doghouse, but the win will be a much-needed breather for fans and players alike.

Hull City has returned to the Premier League after being absent for three years. They have already gained the respect of the other teams, winning three of their first seven matches. Many have predicted they will be relegated this season but veteran Premier League manager Steve Bruce has other plans. Having already made some key signings, such as Tom Huddleston from Tottenham, Hull City has had a wonder start. However, instead of chasing the teams on top of the table they will be happy just trying to stay as far as possible from the bottom.

Aston Villa has had an unbearably tough schedule to start the season. Having already faced Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City; Villa silenced the critics and was able to come away with six points from a possible twelve. Now with the majority of the tough teams out of the way, Aston Villa will look to climb up the table as they face the teams in the lower half. Having a very good crop of young players, star striker Christian Benteke, and American goalkeeper Brad Guzan, they look to be as tough a team as any.

While this weekend may have seen some of the heavyweights’ secure victory, the title race remains wide open among a wealth of worthy contenders. Only the coming weeks will reveal which sides are strong enough to embark on the long campaign the English Premier League proves itself to be.

• Editor’s Note- This article was completed earlier in October, rankings may have changed.