The Student Newspaper of Saint Peter's Prep

The Petroc

The Petroc

The Petroc

Prep Water Polo: New Beginnings

Prep Water Polo: New Beginnings

Going in to its third year as a sports team here at Prep and its first year as a varsity sport, the Prep Water Polo team had high hopes for the new season.  After starting the season with a tough loss against St. Benedicts, the team went on to beat longtime rivals Pingry and the Canterbury School.  After these exciting wins, the team faced hard losses from the Lawrenceville School, the Trinity School, and Friends Central, bringing their record to 2-4.  While Varsity has a losing record, the JV team is 1-1.  They started off with a loss to St. Benedicts, but quickly rallied and beat The Lawrenceville School in their next game.  This year’s varsity roster has eleven seniors: Captains Jack Egan and Brian Feeney, Max Leyn, Ryan Diaz, Ken Carrol, Ian Maxwell, John Corea, Mikhail Harvey, Emmet Flanigan, Matt Jasko, and Frank Beatrice. There are seven members of the junior class and one member of the sophomore class; Chris and Mike Capparis, Captain Anthony Duran, Ed Oser, Luke Madden, Dave Anderson, Anthony Ruvo, and Mike Dillane.  The JV squad has nine juniors, six sophomores, and three freshman; Griffin Otterbein, Adam Piccardo, Mike Dwyer, Jodi Giani, Ben Zinn, Sean Connors, Kerry Boll, Devon Thompson, Connor Sharp, Pat Sweeney, Devin Siracuse, Sean Regan, Mark Imus, Matt Hart, Cameron Vasfalio, Sean Mikovits, Joey Milroy, and Angus Applegarth.  “The team has come a long way from the inaugural season, every year we keep on thriving and showing improvements” said Jack Egan when asked about the team’s progress from the beginning.  Jack also commented on the games the team has won in the past “My sophomore year we did not win one game.  My junior year we won two, and this season, we have already won two tough games against opponents that have beaten us in the past.”  Still to come are games against The Pingry School, The Canterbury School, The Horace Mann School, and The Trinity School.  The team hopes to end the season on a good note by getting into the State Cup, stay tuned for more updates!