The Student Newspaper of Saint Peter's Prep

The Petroc

The Petroc

The Petroc

Spotlight: Prep Swimming

Spotlight: Prep Swimming

Last year the Prep Swimming Team made a big splash on the local circuit and gained statewide recognition. The team is led by Coach Ryan Heffernan. Mr. Brian Jones, class of 2006, is the Assistant Coach. This year’s team looks to continue in the fashion and tradition of last year’s team and looks to dominate within Hudson County.

In preparation for the 2012-2013 season, the Prep swimmers attended a leadership and training camp at the end of November. Coach Heffernan has commented on the importance of the weekend camp for teambuilding and believes it is a great way to kickoff the season.

Already, the Prep team is 3-0. In the opening tri-meet against McNair and Marist, Prep started the season where the team left off last year. Prep notched another win versus Union City for its third win of the early season. Prep has a challenging schedule against Hudson County rivals:  North Bergen, Bayonne, Memorial, Hoboken, Dickinson, Kearny, and Ferris. Prep will also be tested when it faces other in-state powers such as Ridgewood and Seton Hall Prep. The National Catholics Swimming & Diving Championships are scheduled for January 26th & 27th at Loyola University in Baltimore, Maryland. Also during January 2013, Prep will host a meet against another Jesuit High school, St. Joseph’s Prep of Philadelphia. This is a unique opportunity for the Prep swimmers in that they will swim competitively on a Friday, and then conduct a joint practice the next day. This will be followed by a trip to New York City. Some Prep families will be hosting the St. Joseph’s Team. Prep Swimmers are looking forward to having another Jesuit School on the schedule and sharing in a collegial weekend of sport and camaraderie.

The Prep team is led by senior and captain, Jon Little and co-captain, Matt Jasko. This year’s returning seniors are Matt Aiello and Joe Palasits. The Prep team is strong again this year and has a deep bench. Juniors are Matt Chu, Ed Oser, Brian Tuhy, Max Leyn, John Corea, Mikhail Harvey, Matt Giardiello, Ethan Zingalis, Ryan Diaz, and Mike Dwyer. Returning sophomores are Matt Frezza, Winston Chu, Mike Capparis, Chris Capparis, Tariq Elmetwally, Peter Tomljanovic, Sean Severson, and Reese Quinones. The new freshmen who hope to add are Will Delaney, Mike Dillane, Martin Michael Ryan III, Mark Imus, Matthew Hart, Sean Regan, and Nick Giardiello. All have made significant contributions and are expected to continue to shine throughout the season.