The Student Newspaper of Saint Peter's Prep

The Petroc

The Petroc

The Petroc

The Outbreak of Ebola

What is Ebola? Ebola is a virus, formerly known as Ebola Haemorrhagic, disastrous to humans. The Ebola virus is fatal if it is not treated. The time interval from when the person is infected until they start experiencing symptoms ranges anywhere from two days after being infected up to three weeks. The first symptoms  of an infected person are muscle pains or soreness,  fever, sore throat, and headache. The symptoms for Ebola are extremely similar to many minor illnesses, often allowing it to be misdiagnosed.

Contrary to common knowledge, the recent outbreak of Ebola is not the first; thirty-eight years ago, in 1976, two cases were discovered simultaneously, one in Nazra, Sudan, and the other in Yambuku, Democratic Republic of Congo. The disease took its name when Ebola spread to a small village neighboring the Ebola River. Ebola eventually spread to Zaire, South Africa, later on in the year. Now, in 2014, the deathly disease has returned. More than 4,500 cases were reported in West Africa as of October 22nd, 2014.

The United States first saw its first glimpse of the disease when 42-year-old Thomas Eric Duncan was diagnosed on September 30th, in Dallas, Texas. Duncan, a Liberian native, was visiting his family in Dallas, Texas when he was diagnosed. He received care at Health Presbyterian Hospital. By October 4th, Eric Duncan was in critical condition, and only four days later, he passed away from Ebola. Nina Pham and Amber Joy Vinson, two nurses who treated Duncan while he was in the hospital, were diagnosed with the disease on October 11th, and October 14th, respectively. Nina Pham was cured of the disease, and she returned home. Amber Joy Vinson continued treatment in Maryland. A fourth case of Ebola was diagnosed to physician Craig Spencer on October 23rd, not far from us, in New York City. Spencer was working with a program called “Doctors Without Borders” in West Africa, and experienced some symptoms when he returned. Hundreds of people across the country are still being tested for the disease.

The 2014 Ebola epidemic is the largest in known history, affecting multiple countries across the African continent. Despite these growing numbers, the risk of an Ebola pandemic in the States is very low. Although some argue that media outlets have exaggerated the threat of Ebola domestically, the big question remains: How do we stop Ebola? Right now there is no known cure, but intensive care and specific treatment can help improve chances of survival. Screenings are being enforced at five airports across the country. Because Ebola can enter the body through even the most minute contact with bodily fluids, the CDC is working aggressively to contain it.