New York City’s Most Hip Neighborhoods

New York City’s Most Hip Neighborhoods

Alessandro Memmolo ‘19, Staff Writer

In recent years, New York City has become the most popular (and notoriously expensive) city to visit in the world. The popularity, which has escalated due to movies, the media, and other attention, has brought expanding numbers of both locals and tourists to visit the very unique parts of the city. Even students from St. Peter’s Prep share this ideal of visiting these parts of New York, which have recently become much “hotter”. A thorough guide to just a few of these neighborhoods would definitely help many who want to travel to the concrete jungle. Consider visiting these parts of New York to learn more about the city, including other parts, which may not even be mentioned, like Chelsea, Battery Park City, or Bushwick.

SoHo

This small neighborhood located in Lower Manhattan has become a “dream-come-true” for shopaholics around the world. SoHo, or “South of Houston Street”, has risen in popularity over the past few years as more and more shops are being positioned in the neighborhood, attracting the attention of both tourists and even locals. One such local, who will remain anonymous, described it as a “glorified haven of shopping centers”. Such familiar shops in the area include Sephora, J. Crew Men’s Shop, Supreme, H&M, Urban Outfitters, Zara, and so many more. SoHo is also well known for its creative architecture and art. Like in most diverse neighborhoods in New York, you’ll be able to find art galleries at almost every corner you turn. The neighborhood is also famous for its many apartments and lofts made out of cast iron, which is something you won’t find anywhere else in the city. The infamous Black Tap, a bar made popular for its iconic milkshakes, is also located in SoHo on Broome St & Sullivan St. Unless you want to endure waiting in line from anywhere between an hour to four hours, there are many other options to consider eating at.

Greenwich Village

This next neighborhood located just above SoHo is home to where some of music’s most famous artists once resided. Greenwich Village, also referred to as “The Village” by locals, is in Lower Manhattan and offers many popular sights to explore. Above all, Washington Square Park sits at the center of this neighborhood, with its iconic arch and fountain as scenery for the public. Here, you’ll most likely find some street performer, whether it be a musician, ventriloquist, artist, or magician, performing in front of crowds to amuse. Surrounding the park is New York University, one of the world’s most famous research universities. The neighborhood is also well known for its historic jazz clubs, including Smalls Jazz Club, Cafe Wha?, and Terra Blues, some of which were visited by famous artists like Bob Dylan and Woody Allen. If in search for a records store, you can visit Generation Records which sells various genres of records, spanning from heavy metal to alternative. If in search for a bite, Joe’s Pizza, an iconic pizzeria which has been serving pizza to locals and tourists alike since 1975, is located in the Village. As a fun fact, if you are a fan of the TV series Friends, the building where the show was shot is in Greenwich Village on Grove Street and Bedford Street.

Upper East Side

Possibly the most lavish part of Upper Manhattan, the Upper East Side is a must-see when visiting New York City. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, or The Met, is the most famous attraction in this neighborhood. The museum covers a large part of artistic history, spanning from ancient Greece to the Renaissance. When visiting The Met, one has the option to pay using donations as small as fifty cents rather than paying full price for a ticket; which is something the average tourist may do without thinking twice. This is applicable to other museums around New York too, including the Natural History Museum and the MoMa. While at The Met, consider visiting Central Park at the heartland of Manhattan. The colossal park is a beautiful and amazing sight to see and walk around. You may even recognize some of Central Park from popular movies such as, Home Alone 2, Elf, or Ghostbusters. Locals also come to Central Park to take part in many activities like running, cycling, or simply walking to relax. Like SoHo, the Upper East Side also offers a wide range of shops for all shopaholics to go to, especially more fancy and lavish stores. A popular place to visit if in need for a quick bite would be Serendipity 3, a restaurant famous for its frozen ice cream shakes. Next to Serendipity 3 is also Dylan’s Candy Bar, another popular option to consider for its unique spectrum of candy to choose from.

DUMBO

This recently neighborhood made famous in Brooklyn is an entire walk across a bridge away. DUMBO, short for “Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass”, is a more photogenic part of New York City. At every corner you turn, you’ll find some piece of artwork on a wall, a door, or a bridge overlooking the neighborhood, making for great photo opportunities. Main Street Park presents an astounding view of Manhattan from Brooklyn, making for even more aesthetic and breath taking photos. West of Main Street Park, however, is the iconic Brooklyn Bridge Park, where many movies have marked their place. Shake Shack, a well-known fast food restaurant situated around New York, is located on the same street as the park, as well as Juliana’s and Grimaldi’s Pizza, two very reputable pizzerias in DUMBO worth trying out. When finished eating, you can go up Old Fulton Street to the entrance onto the Brooklyn Bridge where hundreds of people simply walk or bike to enjoy the pleasant scenery there.

Sources:

http://www.nycgo.com/

http://www.youtube.com/

https://www.google.com/maps/