The Student Newspaper of Saint Peter's Prep

The Petroc

The Petroc

The Petroc

Christmas Classics: A New Breed?

Christmas Classics: A New Breed?

As soon as December hits, the Christmas spirit overcomes most families. Across the globe family members bustle to get together and share some relaxation and fun times with each other. One holiday tradition that a great majority of Christmas fans look forward to would be watching Christmas movies. As we all know, children and teen movies are displayed in an ABC December event known as 25 Days of Christmas. With millions tuning in each night, it is a hot topic to recall some significant scenes. Over the years, there have been many debates over which Christmas movie sit atop the list of best holiday motion picture. Some of the originals, such as It’s a Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street, and A Christmas Story, are well known and have been around as early as 1947. Although these movies are classics, children today are not familiar with them, and would rather watch more animated or modern day movies. These modern day and animated movies are films such as Elf, A Charlie Brown Christmas, The Polar Express, and The Santa Clause. Not only do these films portray great Christmas tales, but they actually have started some of the Christmas traditions we know today. Many of us know the “Charlie Brown tree.” We actually get this tradition from A Charlie Brown Christmas, where, in the movie, Charlie Brown finds an unusually small tree and celebrates the magnificent tree with his close friends for Christmas. These trees are even found in stores today. Many sayings are also taken from these movies which we hear frequently around the holidays. Some bedtime stories from books have turned up on the big screen including The Grinch  and many others. Whether its a movie from the 1940’s, or the 2000’s, Christmas movies are a great way to spend time with our families and get into Christmas spirit.